Videography, Photography & Editing
Aenigma Inc. photographers shoot all their footage in a digital format that produces a finished product that is spectacular. We utilize state-of-art software (full suite of Adobe software) to accomplish this tedious task quickly and efficiently.
Time to Edit Videos: For every one hour of shooting video, it takes 10 to 25 hours to edit that video.
A video with long takes will edit quicker than one with many insert edits or cut-aways. Likewise, dramatized videos with many different angles and takes will require more editing time. A music video production with lots of rapid edits and intricate montage sequences might be more in the range of a 25:1 to 35:1 source to edit ratio.
What is Video Post Production?
“Post” happens after the principal photography is finished. Broadly, it encompasses:
- Picture editing
- Sound effects editing
- Music composition
- Visual effects
- Sound mixing
- Color correction
That’s also (roughly) the order things happen, although there’s the occasional round tripping between steps.
The Goals of Editing
There are many reasons to edit a video and your editing approach will depend on the desired outcome. Before you begin you must clearly define your editing goals, which could include any of the following:
- Remove unwanted footage
- This is the simplest and most common task in editing. Many videos can be dramatically improved by simply getting rid of the flawed or unwanted bits.
- Choose the best footage
- It is common to shoot far more footage than you actually need and choose only the best material for the final edit. Often you will shoot several versions (takes) of a shot and choose the best one when editing.
- Create a flow
- Most videos serve a purpose such as telling a story or providing information. Editing is a crucial step in making sure the video flows in a way which achieves this goal.
- Add effects, graphics, music, etc
- This is often the "wow" part of editing. You can improve most videos (and have a lot of fun) by adding extra elements.
- Alter the style, pace or mood of the video
- A good editor will be able to create subtle mood prompts in a video. Techniques such as mood music and visual effects can influence how the audience will react.
- Give the video a particular "angle"
- Video can be tailored to support a particular viewpoint, impart a message or serve an agenda.
What does Photo Editing involve?
Automatic image enhancement
Digital data compression
Image editor features
One of the prerequisites for many of the applications mentioned below is a method of selecting part(s) of an image, thus applying a change selectively without affecting the entire picture.
Image size alteration
Image editors can resize images in a process often called image scaling, making them larger, or smaller
Cropping an image
Cropping creates a new image by selecting a desired rectangular portion from the image being cropped.
Algorithms in the digital editor allow the user to visually adjust the brightness value of each pixel and to dynamically display the results as adjustments are made.
artifacts can be removed; dust and scratches can be removed and an image can be de-speckled. Noise tends to invade images when pictures are taken in low light settings.
Removal of unwanted elements
Most image editors can be used to remove unwanted branches, etc., using a "clone" tool. Removing these distracting elements draws focus to the subject, improving overall composition.
Notice the branch in the original
The eye is drawn to the center of the globe
Selective color change
Some image editors have color swapping abilities to selectively change the color of specific items in an image, given that the selected items are within a specific color range.
Selective color change
Image orientation (from left to right): original, −30° CCW rotation, and flipped.
Perspective control and distortion
Perspective control: original (left), perspective distortion removed (right).
Sharpening and softening images
Selecting and merging of images
Slicing of images
Change color depth
Contrast change and brightening